Our children struggle with sin, just like we do. It breaks my heart when they sin, but it also grieves my Heavenly Father when I do. He wants the best for me, and that requires walking in obedience. He still loves me completely and fully. Nothing I do can take His love away from me; but now that I’m a parent, I understand the grieving process over a child that sins. One of our children has been struggling with lying, and I had them do a bible study on it and also work on memory verses. I’m sure other parents have this same struggle, so I’ve shared a downloadable link you can print and use in your own home.
In addition to the Bible study, here are some additional ideas to combat lying in children:
- Post a memory verse for the week on the refrigerator and have the whole family work on it together.
- Listen to scripture set to song. Our favorite is 100 Read & Sing Devotions.
- We do family devotions in the evening together before bedtime. Here is our new favorite book: God’s Word For Me-Bible Storybook. This book is very special. It has 26 Bible stories, from the Old and New Testaments. What I love most, is the prompt at the end of each story. Some examples:
- Do God’s Word: “Draw your own rainbow. Use all your favorite colors. Remember that God always keeps His promises. And He wants you to keep your promises too.”
- Remember God’s Word: “God looked at everything He had made, and it was very good.” -Genesis 1:31
- Pray God’s Word: “Lord, keep us safe. Always protect us. Protect me, God, because I trust in you.” – Psalm 12:7, 16:1
There are useful resources included in this book as well to help your children learn about the Bible. There are reading charts, a list of the books of the Bible, a memory verse checklist, and more!