Thinking about football season gives me all the nostalgic feelings. My love for football started during my childhood. As a young girl, I didn’t mind getting dirty, climbing trees, and wandering aimlessly in the woods for hours. Many times, the day would get away from me. It wasn’t until the warmth of the sun disappeared, and the streetlights came on, that I knew it was time to come inside. Oh, how I miss the days that I spent outdoors!
Fall is my favorite season for many reasons, but football sure is at the top of the list! Backyard pickup football games with my dad, brother, and neighborhood friends are some of my fondest memories! As a pre-teen, I would hang all the new large Buffalo Bills posters from the Sunday newspaper all over my wall!
There’s something so refreshing about the crisp autumn air, your cozy fall attire, watching some good old fashion football outdoors! Sunday football inside with the family is also just as fun!
With football season right around the corner, it has me thinking about football and tailgating food! Here are two of my favorite go-to recipes that you might like to add to your list to serve!
Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies
This recipe is fun, simple and delicious for the whole family! Be sure to get yours right away, because they don’t last long!
- 1 Package of Bacon
- 1 Package of Mini Smokies
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Paper Triangles and Tape (For Favorite Team Color Flag)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking pan with foil.
- Cut bacon strips into thirds. Wrap 1 piece of bacon around each mini smokie and secure with a toothpick.
- Combine cayenne pepper and brown sugar and roll each smokie in the mixture.
- Place on prepared pans and bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip smokies and cook an additional 10 minutes or until bacon is crispy. (Add an extra 5 minutes if baking from frozen)
- Cut tiny triangles of construction paper (your favorite football team’s colors) and tape them to a toothpick. Stick upright in the sizzling bacon brown sugar smokies.
For a gluten-free option, your crowd might just fall in love with this recipe:
Gluten-Free Cheesy Bacon Appetizers
- 1 package Brazi Bites (Cheese with Bacon)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- ¼ cup cooked and crumbled back
Preheat oven to 400F. Spray muffin tin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Melt butter in the microwave with minced garlic in 15-second intervals.
Dip each Brazi Bite into a melted butter/garlic and put 2 into each muffin tin. Top with bacon and cheese.
Bake 12-15 minutes. When the appetizers come out of the oven brush a little more of the remaining garlic butter over the top. Serve warm or at room temperature with ranch dressing or any other favorite dipping sauce!