For as long as I can remember, I’ve known the lyrics and tune to “Jesus Loves Me.” My parents took me to church the very week I was born. If you had asked me as a child how I knew that Jesus loves me, then I would have replied that the Bible tells me so. Of course! But if you had asked me how I can feel Jesus’ love in my heart, I’m not sure how I would have answered. Feelings and emotions are not always easy to explain when you’re age 6. How can we help our children begin to comprehend the love of Jesus? Check out these 5 ways we feel Jesus’ love when we follow him.
5 Ways We Feel Jesus’ Love When We Follow Him
1. When We Read His Word: Remind your child of the last birthday card they received or the last lunchbox note they opened. The Bible is God’s love letter to us and when we read it, we know that he loves us through his words.
For God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son. God gave his Son so that whoever believes in him may not be lost, but have eternal life. John 3:16 ICB
2. When We are Loved on by Other Christians: Think of a time that your family was ministered to by someone else. Maybe they brought dinner over, sent flowers, or wrote an encouraging text. Whatever it was, remind your child of how beautiful and wonderful it felt to know that someone cared!
All people will know that you are my followers if you love each other. John 13:35 ICB
3. When We Show Love to Others: I remember one time when I stopped the van to help a precious disabled woman who was hobbling home in the heat. When we left the woman safely at her home, my daughter asked me why I took the time to help her when she knew that we were on a time crunch. I told her that it wasn’t me; it was Jesus in me. He had helped me to see how much this woman needed our love. The blessing of helping her and the blessing of sharing the experience with my daughter made me feel like Jesus’ love was wrapped around all of us.
I give you a new command: Love each other. You must love each other as I have loved you. John 13:34 ICB
4. When We Pray and Listen: Ask your child if he or she knows how much you love them. “You know how much I love listening to you tell me about your day? Do you know how much I love eating dinner with you? Do you know how much I love hearing your stories? As much as I love hearing your voice and listening to you share your heart, God loves it even more when we pray to him and tell him about our day. When we spend time sharing our hearts with him, he longs to hear from us, his children.”
Then you will call my name. You will come to me and pray to me. And I will listen to you. Jeremiah 29:12 ICB
5. When We Enjoy the Beauty of Nature: The next time you’re sitting on the beach, enjoying the ocean breeze, ask your child, “Who made the ocean?” As you enjoy nature, talk about how much God must love us, to provide such a beautiful world to live in. Chat about the green grass, gorgeous flowers, babbling brook, singing tree frogs, or dancing fireflies, and remind yourself and your child of God’s miraculous, incredible love for his children.
All things were made through him. Nothing was made without him. John 1:3 ICB
Whether reading God’s Word, experiencing his love through other Christians, or one of the other points mentioned above, Jesus loves us more than we can ever imagine. We won’t be able to completely comprehend his enormous love for us, but each day we have opportunities to experience his love and grow to recognize it more. My prayer is that you and your child embrace every moment in your day to feel just how much Jesus truly loves you. How do I know this? The Bible tells me so! Every member of the family can feel Jesus’ love through the beautiful words of the Jesus Calling devotionals. There’s one for the whole family.
Get more information about this resource HERE.
What are some ways you feel Jesus’ love as you follow Him?