Giving children the opportunity to embrace God’s Word as their own is a great way to build their faith. With the summer months and less routine in our lives, it’s easy to fail to prioritize reading the Bible on a daily basis, even when we have the best of intentions. Our family has discovered that we can have a short morning devotional and then throughout the day, we try to implement at least one other way of getting into the Bible together. Today I’m sharing our list of 11 simple ways to get into God’s Word daily with your kids. No matter the time of year, reading the Bible is fun and exciting and even more so when you shake it up with these suggestions!
1. Reading aloud before or during a meal can be a great option for developing a daily habit of getting into the Bible.
2. Keep a perpetual devotional calendar or verse of the day calendar on the kitchen counter or dining room table.
3. Read on rest periods at the pool or water breaks on a hike. Pausing for a few moments of rest during an activity is a great time to enjoy God’s Word.
4. Have an old-fashioned Sword drill. Call out the book, chapter and verse and have the kids search their Bibles to find it. First one to find it begins reading it.
5. Do a word search on your daily Bible reading passage. Read the passage before your children, then write a list of words for them to find and check off the list as they read. This exercise provides the opportunity for them to slow down and reflect on the passage a little more.
6. Choose a phrase or sentence from the passage and make a list of as many words as possible in five minutes.
7. Pick up a devotional you haven’t finished and choose a random reading.
8. Listen to Bible verses in song as you ride in the car.
9. Play a memory verse popcorn game. Have each person take a turn and as a group, say as many verses as you can in 6-8 minutes. Set a timer and keep count of the verses.
10. Choose a focus word or use your child’s name and find a Bible verse that begins with each letter.
11. Check out this list of awesome Bible apps for kids and enjoy God’s Word on digital devices.
What ways have you found to have fun and enjoy the Bible with your kids? We’d love to read your ideas! Rachel at RachelWojo.com