The world around us is bursting with new life, the kids can play outside, it’s practically a Disney movie in action. It makes me want to burst into song. We spend many family dinners discussing what it means that Christ rose from the grave. How He got the victory over death and all for us! Colored eggs and chocolate bunnies kind of pale in comparison with that. We love the idea of celebrating the season and being outside, so we’ve made our own twist on the traditional Easter egg hunt. We buy the plastic eggs and hide them in the yard, but it’s not the bunny that hides them at our house; it’s Mom and Dad. And they’re not filled with candy. It’s more of a treasure hunt!
We designate a color for each child.
For us, we also have to write their names on the eggs since we can never find 9 different colors! Then I put little notes and clues into the eggs. Maybe the first will say, “What color was the blood that Christ shed for us? Find that color flower,” then hide the next egg/clue in the red flower bush. Or, “How many days was Christ in the grave? Take that many steps to the left.” The older the kid, the harder the hunt. We’ve even buried clues before. No stone goes unturned around here. Make it a little hard….it’s more fun for everyone! At the end of the hunt is a small gift. I like to give a book or journal or coupon for an outing alone with Mom and Dad. Jesus Calling: The Story of Easter by Sarah Young is a great one to give!
Here are some ideas for clues to put in your Easter eggs:
- What color did the guards of Jesus’ tomb wear? Find something that color to find your next clue.
- Several women went to anoint the body of Jesus. Find your mom and she will lead you to your next clue!
- Jesus had holes in His hands and feet. Find a hole to find your next clue.
- The stone was rolled away. Find a stone to find your next clue.
- Jesus visited 2 disciples on the road to Emmaus. Look beside a road to find your next clue.
- How many disciples were there? Take that many steps to the right to find your next clue.
- Jesus loved the children. Find a child’s toy to find your next clue.
- The people laid down palms for Jesus. Find a tree with large leaves for your next clue.
- Jesus washed the disciples’ feet. Find a source of water to find your next clue.
- Jesus prayed in the garden of Gethsemane. Look in the garden to find your next clue.
- They nailed Jesus to a cross. Find a nail in a tree to find your next clue.
- Jesus wore a crown of thorns. Find a plant with thorns to find your next clue.
- What was torn in half at the temple when Jesus died? Find something similar to find your next clue.