With families at home right now, everyone is scrambling to find fun activities to keep occupied.
Movie night is one of our favorite things to do together, and although it certainly isn’t an original idea or activity, my guess is that there are quite a few families searching for good wholesome shows and movies to watch with their kids.
One of the biggest struggles we find as a family is finding a show or movie that is appropriate for our wide age-range of kids. Our children are 11, 13, 15, and 17 years old. It can feel almost impossible to find worthwhile entertainment for us all. Over the years we have done a lot of searching and it is like searching for a needle in a haystack!
Keep in mind that you may want to check pluggedin.com to be sure they are age-appropriate for your child. There are a few listed that our youngest would not watch, but most of these are for all ages. In no particular order, here are 35 shows and movies the entire family can enjoy:
- When Calls the Heart: Based on Janette Oke’s books about the Canadian West, this is our all-time favorite TV series. We don’t miss an episode!
- Pilgrim’s Progress
- National Treasure
- Swiss Family Robinson: This movie follows the courageous adventures of the Robinson family after they are shipwrecked on a deserted island.
- Unplanned: Every family should watch this picture of what abortion really looks like in this country. Based on a true story, it is so well done! (sidenote: our youngest daughter was too young for this)
- Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman
- Bringing Up Bates
- When Hope Calls: Set in the early 1900s this show is based in a neighboring town to the setting of When Calls the Heart. Therefore, we see some crossover of a few of the characters. We just started this series and love it already!
- Little House on the Prairie: This classic has been a staple in my house since my kids were really little. It is wholesome and entertaining all in one!
- Princess Bride
- Christopher Robin
- I Can Only Imagine: This is a moving picture of a struggling father and a son’s quest to overcome the abuse he has faced with forgiveness.
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
- The Greatest Showman: This is probably one of our all-time favorite movies. Everything from the cinema to the music is so well done!
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- Mrs. Doubtfire (Clean TV version)
- Breakthrough: This is an incredible movie based on a true story. Our whole family loved this so much!
- War Room: This is an inspiring movie that shows the power of prayer in the life of a family. One of our very favorites!
- The Lion King (new version)
- Inside Out
- Facing the Giants: I love overcomer stories like this one, especially when they are based around the sport of football! Another movie the whole family will love.
- Mary Poppins
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- Pollyanna: This movie is based on the book Pollyanna. It is delightful and entertaining for all ages!
- A Quiet Place
- Little Women
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society: We absolutely loved this movie based on the book. It is a heartwarming tale the whole family can enjoy!
- The Little Prince
- Groundhog Day
- Heaven is for Real: This is another movie that made us cry! Based on a true story, a family witnesses a miracle when their son is healed and is unprepared for his claim that he went to heaven and back.
This certainly isn’t an exhaustive list, but hopefully, it gives you a start to finding some shows and movies your whole family can enjoy together! It is time to stop searching and start watching!